Re: passwd file entry missing

  Bob> Did you use the setup program on your machine and not his?  I believe it runs mkpasswd for you, if /etc/passwd does not exist.

  Larry> You ran mkpasswd.  Do so on the other (NT/W2K) machine and you should be
  Larry> fine.
  >>
  >> Uh, ok.  I just did "mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd" on his PC, and now
  >> "id" and "whoami" give me something reasonable.  However, I'm quite
  >> sure I never did that on my system.  I think I remember reading about
  >> it in the manual, but I'm pretty sure I never explicitly ran it.

Hmm, I still don't know exactly what happened, but I think the key is
"if /etc/passwd does not exist".  I did run "setup" on both systems.
I would have to guess that when I last ran "setup" on his system,
there was an old passwd file there.  I remember that he used to log on
to his system with "administrator".  I guess the most likely scenario
is that when I ran "setup" on his PC, he was logged in as
administrator.

No big deal.  It's fine now.  I'll now be able to recognize this if it
happens to someone else.