Re: Questions about Cygwin's setup...

> Hmmm.  The cygwin mailer does some strange things with Reply-to.  Your
> message has a Reply-to of "Earnie Boyd <cygwin@cygwin.com>".  Is this
> intentional?

Users do this to avoid getting personal replies.  It keeps the
topic in the forum.

> With respect to my message, it should be obvious that I'm trying to
> setup a "minimum" install of Cygwin.

You should be able to do this.  It's rare that the mount table format
and shortcuts (the only machine-specific parts) change.

> * Why not make setup a package (say "cygwinsetup") like all the rest so that
> it could potentially update itself?

We recommend you run setup from the cygwin home page.  It's not big.
Setup can detect when a new version is available, and you'd want that
new version *before* you run setup, not after.  Plus, it's not trivial
to coordinate downloading and installing a new version of the program
you're currently running, then restarting it and remembering your
choices (assuming the questions haven't changed).