RE: FW: [postmaster@sourceware] RE: [ANN]: automake-1.4

Hi Norman,

>FYI
>There still seems to be a problem with distributions checked
>out from a CVS repository onto a text mounted drive when
>Cygwin is installed as binary.   The only work around I have found
>is to run the Makefile.am files through a Dos2Unix filter prior to
>invoking automake.
>
>This was not a problem with the Perl that Charles Wilson was distributing
>and the gnu distibution of automake, or tarball source distributions.
>
>Does anyone know what the difference might be between the two Perl
>distributions that is causing this ?
>
>I tried looking at the Perl source but got 'lost' quickly.

I think what's going on is that "\" end-of-line continuations are not
getting recognized, probably because of our perpetual nightmare that binary
files do not have "lines" and text files can't agree on how to end them and
stdio.h makes precious little distinction between the two completely
distinct concepts.

I too have tried tracking this down in the Perl source, but became so
disoriented that they had to send a rescue team in to extract me.

Gary R. Van Sickle (tiberius@braemarinc.com)
Braemar Inc.
11481 Rupp Dr.
Burnsville, MN 55337