AW: Emacs and the "/Cygwin" path component...

> >When I installed the 1.0 version of cygwin, it defaulted
> >the root to "c:/Cygwin".  Rather than tweak the path to
> >point to "c:/", I just left it at "c:/Cygwin".
> >
> >everything works fine, save my emacs (Version 20.4.1
> >(i386-*-nt5.0.2195)).  I currently have an alias for emacs
> >that runs "emacs.bat" passing off the arguments.
> >
> >the problem is that if I use "$HOME/.bashrc" as one of the
> >arguments, "$HOME" expands to "/usr/people/myoung" and not
> >"/Cygwin/usr/people/myoung".
> >
> >I'm curious about how other people have all of this
> >set up...i've searched for a "using nt emacs with cygwin"
> >faq, but couldn't find one...
> >
> >any help would be appreciated.
>

> Look in the mail list archives.  Some lisp code to make the
> Win32 version of
> Emacs be able to grok the Cygwin mount table and its path
> mappings has been
> posted several times, although not necessarily recently.  The
> mail list
> archives is always a good place to look for information in
> general, in
> addition to the Emacs FAQ/mail archives in this case.

Here you get my package cygwin32-mount.el:

;;; Commentary

;; This package does all necessary so you can use cygwin-style filenames like
;; "//D/any/path/to/file" or "/cygdrive/d/any/path/to/file" in exactly the
;; same manner as the normal Windows-style filenames like
;; "D:\any\path\to\file" or "D:/any/path/to/file". ~ is also correct expanded!
;; Furthermore this package enables using all your cygwin-mounts in
;; file-operations. For example you can call all file-operations (e.g.
;; find-file) for a file named "/usr/bin/anyfile" if you have mounted the
;; related Windows-path to /usr/bin.
;; The package also makes sure that ange-ftp will work correct if you are
;; using cygwin32-mount.el.

;;; Installation:

;; Put in your .emacs or site-start.el file the following lines:
;;   (require 'cygwin32-mount)
;;   (cygwin32-mount-activate)

I have build this package from the mentioned code posted long time ago in the
emacs-newsgroups.

Hope this helps,
Klaus

cygwin32-mount.el