AW: Using German Umlauts with bash

> I have version 1.1.7 installed. All umlauts display ok with
> this version.

Ok, i have installed latest Cygwin 1.1.7 and i have created a ~/.inputrc
with the following contents:

set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on
#set show-all-if-ambiguous on

I have found this in the mailing-archive and it works well for typing
German umlauts. Now i can do

"touch This-Is-A-File-With-One-Umlaut-ä" (last character is the German "a)

Ok, if i then type

"more This-Is-<TAB>"

means i do TAB-completion then bash expands correct to
"more This-Is-A-File-With-One-Umlaut-ä"

But if i do an "ls" or an "ls -lA" in this directory the dir-list is displayed

-rw-r--r-- 1 administ Kein  0 Jan  2 10:43 This-Is-A-File-With-One-Ulaut-?

Please note the ? instead of the correct ä (German "a).

What can/must i do so "ls" (and maybe other tools/commands) also displays the
German umlauts correct.

For example less displays the German umlauts if i do "export LESSCHARSET=latin1".
Is there maybe something similar for bash?

>  >What to do so i can type German umlauts on the bash-command-line?
>
> Don't know, this does not work yet.

Yes, this works, look above to the ~./inputrc

> IMO you should avoid using umlauts in filenames. This often
> causes problems, not only concerning cygwin...

Yes, i agree but often i must read foreign files and directories...

Thanks,
Klaus