Trying to learn...thanks for your patience

I know a small bit about both unix/Linux and C programming, just for
reference. I am trying to learn more, and was directed to download Cygwin
here, and have done so (albeit after several tries --grin--). I cannot seem
to figure out how to mount, or is it unmount, a directory. I want to, at
this time compile, edit and run MU* codes( Multi-user server software, in
case you didn't know). So I would assume to make my C:\mud directory my root
for this, or even just my C:\ directory. Regrettably I am completely lost
though. I am unfamiliar with the mount command, and whenever I try to name
an existing directory it tells me it does not exist. So any patient souls
out there with a bit of time to assist me, I would be very appreciative.
Sincerely, and thanks again,
Evermahn
ICQ: 75570391

in case it matters:
PII/266 mhz, with 32 mb RAM running Win95 ( with a winmodem or else i would
just load my version of debian Linux...heh)