Accessing IO ports (getting video timings)

I'd like to set up XFree86 to produce the same picture as in Windows. To do it
I need to know mode lines, and so far I was no successful in guessing them.

I've found old description of VGA IO ports that control these values. Is it
possible to directly access them (reading) in Win98? Is there any standard
function to do port IO or should I use assembly? Intention is to simply read
settings Windows driver makes :-)

If anybody knows more simple way to do it - I greatly appreciate it. Of
course, I intend to program under Cygwin :-)

TIA

-andrej

Have a nice DOS!
B >>