Re: Updated: OpenSSH-2.3.0p1

Richard Stanton wrote:

> Could you maybe elaborate on exactly what steps needs to be taken to upgrade
> to the new SSHD? I just updated, and now when I try to connect to my machine
> using SSH (which worked fine until 10 minutes ago) here's what happens:
>
> [c:\]ssh -v mortgage
> SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
> Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
> debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
> debug: Applying options for *
> debug: Seeding random number generator
> debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1001 geteuid 1001 anon 0
> debug: Connecting to mortgage [128.32.75.82] port 22.
> debug: Seeding random number generator
> debug: Allocated local port 633.
> debug: Connection established.
> debug: ssh_exchange_identification: sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

> debug: Calling cleanup 0x414cf0(0x0)

Why not asking sshd by starting from the command line with `-d' option?
This might give you a hint.

> I'm hoping I'm not the only one in this position, but I can't work out how
> to translate the message below into actual steps I need to take to get SSHD
> working again...

chmod 600 /etc/ssh_host_key /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key

If you're starting sshd from your own account, change the ownership
of /etc/ssh_host_key and /etc/ssh_host_key to your account, if
you're starting from LocalSystem account change the owner to `system'.

If you need to start different sshd from different user accounts,
you can do this in one of two ways:

- Either change the owner to UID 0. Change /etc/passwd so that you
  give for example `administrator' or `system' the Cygwin uid 0.
  Then call `setfacl' to add read permission to all users which
  start the various sshds.

- Or duplicate the host key files under different names which are
  given in the corresponding sshd_config files on the `HostKey' line.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@redhat.com