Re: Inetd config questions

Thanks, Corinna, both of your suggestions (below) worked

Roger Young.

roger@kea.grace.cri.nz wrote:
> I recently installed Cygwin 1.1.4 under Win98 and
> [...]
> (1) After inetd is started I can't exit from the shell
> (with exit or logout) I have to crash the window.
> I tried to use 'net stop inetd' but the service name
> is not recognized. How do I exit properly from inetd?

If you start inetd (or any other daemon) under 9X
there's no way to close the window and to remain
the daemon process running. This is a 9X problem.
To get rid of the window you'll have to either start
inetd from a shortcut in minimized state or minimize
the window after starting inetd by hand.

If you want to shutdown these processes cleanly,
kill them before closing the window. On the other
hand, there's no need to do this.

> (2) On the telnet client machine (Win95) I run the
> Windows telnet client to connect to the Cygwin telnet
> server and this works OK. However the telnet client
> doesn't read the PS1 environment variable set in
> /etc/profile properly, it just echos the text verbatim.
> Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Fix the /etc/passwd file on the server side. The problem
is probably that you don't have that /etc/passwd file or
that the login shell mentioned in the file is `/bin/sh'
while you're expecting /bin/bash as your login shell.

Assuming your login name on the server side is `roger' and
your home directory is /home/roger, a correct entry in
/etc/passwd would look like that:

  roger:DES-PWD:500:544:I'm a comment:/home/roger:/bin/bash

The DES-PWD entry is your DES encrypted password. Empty
entry = no password. Generating a DES encrypted password:

  crypt cleartextpassword

The corresponding /etc/group entry:

  unknown::544:

> Sorry if these questions are a bit simplistic, I am still
> feeling my way. Congratulations to all who built this
> Unix/Windows hybrid,

You're welcome,
Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com