Re: Binary package CVS using OpenSSH hang under Win98...

* Sat 2000-09-30 Richard Kim <ryk@dspwiz.com> list.cygwin

|     CW> Since cvs and ssh are both cygwin apps, you *may*
|     CW> get better results using a unixy path for the HOME
|     CW> variable; that is, assuming c:\cygwin is mounted as
|     CW> '/', try setting HOME=/home/friar.  I'm shooting in
|     CW> the dark here, but I seem to recall some
|     CW> console-IO/tty issues; do you get better performance
|     CW> running cvs under a bash shell rather than cmd.exe ?
|
| As someone else reported, cvs (when used with ssh) does not
| finish under Win98 regardless of whether the cvs command is
| run under command.com, bash, or within GNU Emacs 20.7 via
| pcl-cvs. It simply does not finish.  You have to kill the
| cvs process by Control-C or some other means.  Cvs seems to
| do what was asked of it though before hanging, i.e., checkin
| checkout operations are performed successfully.
|
| Win2k does not suffer from this problem. I use
| emacs/pcl-cvs/cvs/ssh everyday to access my cvs database on
| a linux server from a win2k client. It is much more painful
| to use the same tools in win98 due to the hanging
| problem. Has *anyone* been able to use cvs and ssh without
| the hanging problem under Win98?
|
| Note that on my Win98 laptop which exhibits the hanging
| behavior, HOME is set to "c:/ryk". Under bash, "echo $HOME"
| outputs /cygdrive/c/ryk.

I don't have hanging CVS from my Win98 which tunnels through SSH.
Note that the SSH I use it not the standard cygwin openSSH, but
the one found from www.sourceforge.net

    //I have no name!@PICASSO lisp $ //d/bin/ssh/ssh -v
    SSH Version 1.2.14 [winnt-4.0-x86], protocol version 1.4.
    Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.

    //I have no name!@PICASSO lisp $ which cvs
    /usr/bin/cvs
    //I have no name!@PICASSO lisp $ cvs -v

    Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.8 (client/server)

I open the SSH tunnel from DOS box, via command:

    d:\bin\ssh\ssh -C -L2401:host-B-address:2401 through-firewall-host-a

This is due to accessing host B, which is inside intranet and acceded
through host A. After I give the pass phrase in DOS box, the tunnel is
open and I can work transparently from bash ot Emacs pcl-cvs.

Jari