RE: Does is any connection between cygwin and mks.

Hi Avraham,

>   I am using the cygwin for a while and I found that there is a
>   software called mks (www.mks.com) (no source ,and which cost money)
>   that gives lot of cygwin abilities.

Hmm. MKS is a company, but not a product. You seem to refer to the MKS
Toolkit.

>   1) Does there are some relations between the two 'projects'?

Like Cygwin the MKS Toolkit provides a complete set of Unix tools to the
customer. Basically it has "just" a Korn Shell, but it seems running
processes twice as fast (sorry Cygwin folks). MKS has licensed its Toolkit
to Micrsoft, so if you order the MS Unix extensions, you'll receive MKS
products.

>   2) Can I use cygwin from mks and visa-versa.

You should not. Basically it is no problem to call the executables of both,
but most of the tools are available in both packages. Unfortunately both
tools have different path handlings. The MKS Toolkit works with "C:/path",
while Cygwin uses "/cygdrive/c/path" and has the ability for mounting
drives, creating symlinks, and switch to UNC paths. The MKS Toolkit does not
provide you with the functions of the UNIX environment to compile your own
applications. With Cygwin you can compile most free UNIX packages OOTB using
the cygwin1.dll. With the MKS package you have to rely on the completeness
of their distribution. The Toolkit itself feels Unix like, but MKS has
implemented many internal changes, e.g. the man pages use a different
format, etc.

Greetings,
Jörg