[patch] Re: odd bash wrapping due to ansi codes

At 00:08 9/20/00 +1000, Robert Praetorius wrote:
>      I've found that bash is happier when I wrap ANSI (or ANSIesque)
>escape and control sequences inside \[ . . . \].  To quote from the
>bash man page:
>
>           \[   begin a sequence of non-printing characters, which
>                could be used to embed a terminal control sequence
>                into the prompt
>           \]   end a sequence of non-printing characters

BINGO! With Robert's addition I've cleared up 95% of the problems
I'm seeing with shells. (I actually had to resort to a cmd.exe prompt
today because my office mates were threatening violence)

I've discovered that the default configuration is *far* less susceptible
to these problems due to it's multi line nature and 80 column width.
However I think this can be considered "doing the right thing" and will
make the default configuration a better starting point for those who
tweak the shell to feel more like their other systems.

I've attached the patch as a bz2 because it's got control chars
littered through it. (somewhere between work and home there is
an smtp server that kept crashing on this patch)

patch.bz2