Re: Link "bash" to "ksh" to be more "portable"?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 02:33:56PM -0700, David M. Karr wrote:
>I often see Java libraries/packages that provide pairs of scripts, as
>a "bat" file and a Korn shell script.  It's sort of annoying when I
>see that I can't use either of them directly from a Bash shell.
>
>Is it reasonable to link "bash.exe" to "ksh.exe" in the Cygwin
>distribution?  Is there any feature in Korn shell that is NOT in Bash,
>or any other reason why this might be a bad thing to do?

bash is not the same thing as ksh.  If we copied bash to ksh we'd just
end up with confused people wondering why specific ksh features that
they were used to don't work.

Just in case someone thinks that linking ash to /bin/sh is in some way
related to this, it's not.  "bash" is not always necessarily the same
thing as /bin/sh.  On most versions of UNIX, /bin/sh is not bash.

However, if someone would like to volunteer to provide *and support* a
version of ksh for cygwin, I'd be happy to include it in the
distribution.

Now that I've asked for a volunteer I assume that there will be no
further discussion...

cgf