Re: Setup versioning

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 02:17:31PM -0700, Xavier wrote:

>>>Hmmm...  my browser asks me if I want to run it directly, which is what
>>>I usually do.
>>
>>I'm also paranoid.  Unless I'm connecting to you via a secure route, I
>>figure my AV software ought to have a go at your ".exe" before I run
>>it.
>
>What about an extra file on the server containing the version number?
>
>Setup could check to see whether it's up to date or not and tell the
>user to download the newer version if not.  It looks like setup will
>contact the cygnus server to get the mirror list anyway so maybe the
>check could be done just before that step.
>
>The drawback is that this requires some updates to the web server and a
>predefined location so it's not just a matter of sending a patch.  And
>of course this may not be a good idea or there may be some better way
>of doing something similar, I didn't spend too much time thinking about
>it.

If it bothers you that you may not be running the latest version of
setup.exe, then download it.  The current setup.exe will take about 55
seconds to download on a 28K connection.

That's a small price to pay for the obvious peace of mind that this will
bring to everyone.

I mean what if DJ forgets to update the proposed setup version file on
the web site?  You could be running the wrong version! It might give you
a syntax error or an incomprehensible dialog box or something!

Nobody wants that.  Just be safe.  Download setup.exe every time.

cgf