makeinfo not built to run under win32 ?

makeinfo fails with error 0 when building gcc under
cygwin 1.1.2.  It fails trying to process gcc.texi
into gcc.info.  This occurs with the current version
of texinfo.tar.gz (contains makeinfo.exe).  I can't
give a version number of that zip -- it doesn't
appear to have one.

I tried to find this in the archives, as it would seem
to be a FAQ, but was unsuccessful.

To reproduce this problem (must be under cygwin
1.1.2),
try using the current makeinfo to process a .texi
file into a .info file.  If that works, try processing
the gcc.info from gcc-2.95.2.

Thanks for any help or info you can provide,

Chuck Meade