Re: rpm 3.0.4: Can't "rpm -Uvh" my first rpm package (unpacking of archivefailed: cpio: Bad magic)

> I then downloaded the RPM package that I wanted to install
> (ftp://projects.sourceforge.net/pub/cygwin-rpm/packages/perl/perl-5.6.0-cygw
> in1.1.rpm), into my home directory

> ##unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic

Sounds like the .rpm files got corrupted during the download (netscape
will do that) but you really should be directing this question to one of
the following people:

#1) rebum (the proprietor of the site where you got rpm.exe)
   he's very accessible via email, IRC, or EFnet -- see the webpage at
http://atlas.spaceports.com/~cygwin/

#2) rebum (!!) (the proprietor of the site where you got the .rpm files)

Also, I *think* there may be a problem with rebum's rpm-3.0.4 package if
you try to unzip it using windows tools. The paths in the archive are
'/usr/lib/whatever' and windows happily complies -- but because cygwin
mounts '/lib' on top of '/usr/lib' all the stuff that WinZip put into
'/usr/lib' is hidden.

A) don't unpack using windows tools -- use cygwin tar and gunzip, for
.tar.gz archives, or "unzip" for .zip archives (see
http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/unzip-5.41/)
B) using explorer, move the stuff in /usr/lib into /lib.

Good luck!

--Chuck

P.S. I did some of the initial ports of db, rpm, etc, but many folks
have taken my stuff and moved forward, including Rebum, Rue Satoh, and
Michael Ring. I can't personally support other people's ports of "my"
packages, only my own version. I'm sure you see why.