gdbm & cvs packages ready for official inclusion?

On Jul 31, I posted the following two messages and asked for test
reports:

"gdbm package available for test"

"cvs available for test"

AFAIK, there is only one issue that still needs fixing (a minor
packaging goof in gdbm-1.8.0-1-src.tar.gz. Other than that, I think gdbm
and cvs are ready to be put into /cygwin/contrib.

Any objections? Speak out now! I've put a summary of known issues and
"bug" status below.

--Chuck

------------------------
------------------------
PROBLEM REPORTS:

------------------------
minor packaging issue in gdbm-1.8.0-1-src.tar.gz

status: will fix.

------------------------
cvs appears to upload the entire repository before doing an update.
Really slows down 'cvs -u'. Occurs only with post-Cygwin-CD cygwin
dll's. Using a clean CygwinCD installation, but with this version of
cvs/gdbm, no slowdown observed. Drop in a new cygwin1.dll from 1.1.0 or
later, and slowdown happens. Reported by Trevor Forbes.

status: unconfirmed. No known explanation. Unless someone yells, I'm
gonna let this one slide.

------------------------
cvs can't do a checkout when pwd = '/'. Reported by Travis Howell
(Win98SE + cygwin1.1.3)

status: unconfirmed. I cannot reproduce; it works okay for me
(W2K+cygwin1.1.4). Unless someone confirms, I'm going to ignore this.

------------------------
cvs can't work with packages that contain files whose names are illegal
under MSWIN -- e.g. the eggdrop-1.5 package has a directory called
'AUX'. Reported by Travis Howell.

status: Ignore. cvs isn't the right place to fix this. If it is to be
fixed, it should be done in the cygwin file access layer, not in cvs.
(Personally, I thing the maintainer of eggdrop and other poorly-behaved
packages should use names that are cross-platform compatible, but...)

------------------------
Jeffrey Juliano reported that cvs hangs when using OpenSSH on Win98 (Aug
24). ps shows that cvs is in the 'I' state (inactive? waiting for
input?)

status: Fixed by changes to OpenSSH (I think). See Norman's success
report below. Still waiting for Jeffrey to confirm that the problem is
fixed for him.

------------------------
------------------------
SUCCESS REPORTS:

------------------------
works for me for everything I've tried. For whatever that's worth.

At least one successful report of cvs + Corinna's openSSH 2.1.1p4 from
Norman Vine, on Win98. This report was on Aug 2, and is more recent than
Jeffrey's failure report.

1. untar the [OpenSSH] distribution
2. run the /usr/local/bin/ssh-config script
3. restart Cygwin
4. export CVS_RSH=ssh
5. and launch cvs