Re: sshd: multiple connections fail while drives are mounted

Ralf Fassel wrote:

> Hi all,
> openssh-2.1.1p4-2 sshd on NT 4, SP6, latest cygwin1.dll (1.1.4).  sshd
> on NT set up to allow logins for different users (as described in the
> openssh-NT-README).
>
> Problem: I cannot start two connections at the same time, when one
> connection mounts a drive with `net use'.  There seems to be no
> problem, when I first start two connections and mount drives on
> either.
>
> OK:
>   UNIX/xterm1% ssh NT-box
>   Password: xxx
>   UNIX/xterm2% ssh NT-box
>   Password: xxx
>      NT-box-1% net use '*' '\\server\service' 'passwd'
>      NT-box-2% net use '*' '\\server\service' 'passwd'
> I get both logins just fine, and the drives are mounted ok on both
> connections.
>
> Not OK:
>   UNIX/xterm1% ssh NT-box
>   Password: xxx
>      NT-box-1% net use '*' '\\server\service' 'passwd'
>   UNIX/xterm2% ssh NT-box
>   Connection closed by foreign host.
> I.e. not even an `Password' prompt.
>
> As soon as I disconnect the mounted drive on NT-box-1 (no logout!), I
> can login via ssh again on the second connection.  It does not matter
> whether I try to connect as different users or the same user.

Try using different drive letters for different users for testing
purposes, please.

There's a, hmm, how should I say, "feature" in NT/W2K systems in
the NetBios subsystem which is quite annoying.

Try the following: Login interactively at the box using the GUI.
Then create for example a net drive X: to some target:

	net use X: \\foo\bar passwd /user:baz

Then open a local cmd or bash window and enter: `net use'

As an output you will see the drive X:.

Ok up to this point.

Now login AS THE SAME USER over ssh session.

Enter `net use'

OOOpps?!?!? Where's drive X:????

Now from your ssh session, you might be convinced that drive X:
isn't mounted. Ok, here we go, shouldn't be a problem to enter
that in the ssh session:

	net use X: \\foo\bar passwd /user:baz

Hey! What the heck....

On the other hand, if you login via ssh as above, you can use
drive X: though you can't see it in the `net use' output!!!

And to make things worse, try to login as ANOTHER user via ssh
now and then try using X:

This works!

Welcome in the wonderful world of SMB shares :-P

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com