runtime header structure

Hi folks,

   Please, forgive the newbie nature of this question.

   I am in the process of porting a rendering engine for Cygwin.
 Primarily, the purpose is to allow multiple development
environment support for the rendering engine in question
(CrystalSpace).

   Currently I am working on porting a Cygwin version of a
DirectX 3 (NT4) version of CrystalSpace.

   In reviewing the header structure (/usr), I couldn't help but
notice that there were apparently duplicate headers involved.

  On the one level, I see "usr/i686-pc-cygwin/include" and I
also see "usr/include".

    Is there any subtle difference between these two sets of
headers or are they simply symlinked?

    If the latter (symlinked), then which is the "include"
directory which has the symlink, or are they both symlinked from
somewhere else (gcc-lib?)?

	I am trying to ascertain which "include" directory is the
actual default "include" directory, and which is not.

    Finally, which is the "include" directory which is assumed
when g++ is active?

	Since I am attempting to integrate a new, NT4 based API, which
of the directories (usr/include, usr/i686-pc-cygwin/include, or
other) is the recommended location for new headers?

	Thanks for your patience and your replies.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.