RE: make --win32 incorrectly handles PATH

On Friday, July 21, 2000 12:12 AM, Lassi A. Tuura wrote
>You could try something like
> export PATH := $(PATH):$(EXTRA_PATH)
>in your makefile.
>
>I would expect that to do the right thing in unixy mode -- not having
>the extra space and exporting the changed value to a subprocesses.
>Whether that will actually make it to %PATH% under Win32 I have
>no idea, and unfortunately can't test right now...

I haven't put much into testing the unix mode cuz we don't use it. We
selected the cygwin port of gnu make specifically because we wanted the
increased Win/DOS compatibility we get in win32 mode. But since you
mentioned it, I gave it a quick look-see.

Following your suggestion, in both unix and win32 modes I found that the
form
    PATH +=xxx   #(no space between = and x.)
produces the extraneous space character I spoke of. But the form
    PATH := $(PATH):xxx  #(with space after =.)
does NOT produce the extraneous space. Interesting. That's a viable
workaround for one of the problems.

I had tried export before, but tried it again now, just to verify. In unix
mode, it's not needed for PATH, and seems to have no effect on Path. In
win32 mode, using export (on PATH or Path) doesn't fix the problem.

Scott Carter
Software Engineer