Problem with cygwin-1.1.2 gawk-3.0.4 [Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: gawk-3.0.4]

Followup to  mentioned this problem earlier,
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/2000-06/msg00052.html

I was hoping for this new gawk to resolve some of my problems.

I have an in a tcl script embedded awk script, the tcl/tk  is 8.0.5 (tar.gz) unpacked with tar zxvf on a binary mounted cygwin fs. Now, the tcl/tk 8.0.5 is compiled using msvc 6.0/sp3. Here's a snippet with the tcl embedded awk code:

TestSuite instproc allmakeawk { } {
    set awkCode {
        BEGIN {prev=-1; tot_bytes=0; tot_packets=0; forced_total=0; unforced_total=0}
        {
            if ($5 != prev) {
                print " "; print "\"flow ",$5;
                prev = $5
            }
            tot_bytes = $19-$11;
            forced_total= $16-$14;
            tot_packets = $10;
            tot_arrivals = $9;
            unforced_total = $14;
            if (unforced_total + forced_total > 0) {
                if ($14 > 0) {
                    frac_packets = tot_packets/$14;
                }
                else { frac_packets = 0;}
                if ($17-$15 > 0) {
                    frac_bytes = tot_bytes/($17-$15);
                }
                else {frac_bytes = 0;}
                if ($13 > 0) {
                    frac_arrivals = tot_arrivals/$13;
                }
                else {frac_arrivals = 0;}
                if (frac_packets + frac_bytes > 0) {
                    unforced_total_part = frac_packets * unforced_total / ( unforced_total + forced_total)
                    forced_total_part = frac_bytes * forced_total / ( unforced_total + forced_total)
                    print 100.0 * frac_arrivals, 100.0 * ( unforced_total_part +forced_total_part)
                }
            }
        }
    }
    return $awkCode
}

and here's the first failure output:

ns: _o4 finish_flows test_flows_unforced: awk.exe: cmd. line:4:
        print "
awk.exe: cmd. line:4:                               ^ unterminated string
    while executing
"exec awk [$self $awkprocedure_] $flowfile >@ $outdesc"
    (procedure "_o4" line 26)
    (TestSuite create_flow_graph line 26)
    invoked from within
"$self create_flow_graph $testname $flowgraphfile"
    (procedure "_o4" line 6)
    (TestSuite finish_flows line 6)
    invoked from within
"_o4 finish_flows test_flows_unforced"

Now, the problem seems to be related to 'print " "; print "\"flow ",$5;' here.
The next failure is a bit more odd. Here's the second failure output:

ns: _o4 finish_flows test_flows_forced: awk.exe: cmd. line:3: (END OF FILE)
awk.exe: cmd. line:3: parse error
    while executing
"exec awk [$self $awkprocedure_] $flowfile >@ $outdesc"
    (procedure "_o4" line 26)
    (TestSuite create_flow_graph line 26)
    invoked from within
"$self create_flow_graph $testname $flowgraphfile"
    (procedure "_o4" line 6)
    (TestSuite finish_flows line 6)
    invoked from within
"_o4 finish_flows test_flows_forced"

Meaning that this problem might be related to 'if ($5 != prev) {'...

I get this behaviour both on win98 and NT 4.0/sp6.

Any ideas? Anyone want to help track this problem down?

TIA,

/ChJ

P.S. The code is from a network simulator, ns-2, from http://www.isi.edu/nsnam