Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 10:45:00PM -0400, David Bolen wrote:
>Chris Faylor [cgf@cygnus.com] writes:
>
>> It only affects stdin/stdout behavior when the program is run from the
>> Windows command shell.
>
>Well, it also happens for me when a process is started up from an NT service
>(that is not a Cygwin service) which has no bearing on a command shell, or
>actually any NT application (even if while the application was started from
>a shell, the process it is creating will have no interaction with that
>shell)  (That might be synonymous with what you mean by "command shell" I'm
>not sure).

Ok.  I simplified too much.  To be precise, if a cygwin application is
invoked from a non-cygwin application then CYGWIN=binmode controls the
text mode endings of stdin/stdout/stderr.

This is to allow some measure of control over what shows up in the file since
there is no way for cygwin to know if stdout refers to a file on a "binmode"
directory or not when it is started from an application that doesn't honor
cygwin's mount tables.

cgf