Re: Version handling

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 07:04:00PM -0600, bob wrote:
>It figures, I just ordered the Cygwin CD 1.0, Now the Net Release
>1.1.0 is out. How should I handle these two version?
>
>o Should I remove the Net Release and install the 1.0 only?
>
>o Should I check individual versions on everything and selectively
>update things?
>
>And how will future CD versions (1.<even number>.x) be distributed?

The next CD version will be 1.2.0.  We don't have plans for when this
will be yet.  Even versions are supposed to be tested and stable.  Odd
versions are works in progress (i.e., untested and unstable).

Unless you're having a specific problem, there is no need to "upgrade"
to the net release.  Many individual components of the net release,
like "bash", actually come from the CD.

FYI, we're working on a way to get upgrades to the CD customers but
we don't have anything concrete yet.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company