Re: cross-compile to Windows CE

Raymond Y. Lillard writes:
 > Brett Wuth wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I'm evaluating the possibility of writing Windows CE applications and
 > > device drivers for the StrongARM processor using a gcc cross-compiler.
 > > The host would be Linux.  We don't need UNIX emulation so we would
 > > link against the Windows CE SDK libraries.
 > >
 > > Is anyone already doing this?  If not, how much additional work would
 > > be required to set up the needed tool chain?
 >

 > Sorry, I can't help you, but I was wondering if you received any
 > interesting feedback.  I have been working on a small project on
 > the Hitachi sh3 (Jornada 420) and am finding the CE tools and SDK
 > from Microsoft to be buggy.  The documentation, on Microsoft's
 > own web site admits these is no solution until some future release.
 > Typical Microsoft.
 >
 > Enough of my whine, did you have any success from your post?
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Ray

No, I didn't receive any reply.  But I'm suspecting that it was bad
timing on my part to ask just before Christmas.  Maybe I'll get a
better response with this one.  Does anyone have experience setting up
a gcc tool chain for cross compiling to Windows CE?

Given your comments about CE for the Hitachi, I wonder about the
quality of the Microsoft tool chain for the StrongARM.  Does anyone
know?  If it's problematic I might decline outright its use in this
project.

Ray, can you send me the URL to the Microsoft "no solution" web page?
It could help justify the time in developing the gcc tool chain.

Thanks,
--
Brett Wuth  wuth@acm.org wuth@telusplanet.net bwuth@cuug.ab.ca
Box 1251-U, Pincher Creek, Alberta T0K 1W0, CANADA  Tel:+1 403 627-2460