Re: X11R6.4 for Cygwin Release v1.0? (And thanks)

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 08:21:00AM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >

> >> The link errors that you were getting are due to the fact that *object*
> >> files and *libraries* are not necessarily compatible.  i don't know
> >> about the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION problem, however.
[snip]
> The solution is to recompile from source.
[snip]
> In short, if it links, you're ok.  If it doesn't, recompile.
>
> cgf

I figured the "_ctype_" link errors with the other library
were due some incompatibility, which is why I'm now using
Mr. Siddiqi's release -- I get no link errors when I use
that version.

I have to assume the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error is due to
some incompatibility between the B20 DLL's or libraries and
those from the 1.0 release -- the program experiencing the
error compiles and runs without error using

  B20.1 and Mr Siddiqi's B20-specific X11R6.4/Lesstif
  Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 and X11/Motif libs from Hummingbird
  XFree86 / Lesstif on both Intel and Alpha Linux boxen

so I don't *think* the error is in my code.  I also recompiled
everything I could (my own executable code and my library code);
the only important part I have not recompiled is the
X11R6.4/Lesstif stuff.

In short, I get an error-free link with code that I trust pretty
well, and it dies due to an S_A_V error every time I run it under
release 1.0.  Not to appear argumentative, Chris, but I'm not sure
your statement "if it links, you're ok" is 100% true.

Hopefully, Mr. Siddiqi will be able to recompile his distribution
soon.  If not, I have downloaded both the X11R6.4 and Lesstif
0.89.0 sources and I can take a stab at getting them to compile.
Since Mr. Siddiqi has already done a lot of work in that area, I'd
hate to re-invent the wheel, but if folks would like me to try, I'd
be willing.  I'm fairly certain that the program will run once *all*
the required code has been recompiled from source with release 1.0.

-Brian