Re: problems in running nmake from GNU make

I think MS stuff uses '/', not '-', as flag prefixes.

Noel

tirumala_rao@hotmail.com on 10/15/99 11:57:51 PM

To:   cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
cc:   (bcc: Noel L Yap)
Subject:  problems in running nmake from GNU make

Hi,

I'm facing a problem while I'm trying to run NMAKE from a GNU Makefile
to build a subsystem. The makefile is recursively invoking nmake to build a
subdirectory. I'm invoking nmake as follows:
   cd dir1 && nmake -f template.mak
Make invokes NMAKE, but NMAKE gives an error saying,
   NMAKE : fatal error U1065: invalid option '-'

Running the same line from shell command line works fine.

Does GNU Make know about nmake?
or
Is NMAKE trying to be smarter than it is?

any ideas?

- Tirumal

PS: I would like everything to be in the GNU Makefile format but,
    for the sake of curiosity I'd like to know what's wrong

or as an official confirmation of any transaction, unless specifically agreed
otherwise. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as
to completeness or accuracy and is subject to change without notice. Any
comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of
J.P. Morgan & Co. Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates.