[ANN] Make-3.77 binaries for Mingw

Since folks keep on asking for a recent port of Make, I built my local
copy of 3.77 (tiny config changes, and no source changes at all) for
Mingw. Completely unsupported (read: emailing me bug reports is a waste
of time ;-).

ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/ports/make-3.77-mingw32.zip

I'm appending the README.make file also available from the ftp site above.

Regards,
Mumit

MAKE-3.77 for Mingw
Sun Aug  8 19:15:38 CDT 1999
This is GNU make 3.77 compiled with gcc-2.95 for Mingw. Hardly tested
on either Win9x or NT, so expect bugs and problems. Comes completely
unsupported.

Comes with make.exe binary and documentation in GNU info and HTML
formats.

Changes to make-3.77:
  - Unlike in previous ports, I've left _beginthreadex and _endthreadex
    intact, and instead used MSVCRT runtime to build make 3.77.

  - I've added a Makefile.mingw32, and will submit the changes to the
    make maintainer in due time.

Does it work? Well, enough to build itself and also my other test cases.
The one that still gives me problems is the "cd some/dir"; I'm using the
-C switch to sub-makes instead.

Mumit Khan -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/ports/

==== here's the README.win32 from make-3.77 distribution + my few lines.

Port of GNU make to Windows NT and Windows 95
Builds natively with MSVC 2.x or MSVC 4.x compilers or with Mingw GCC.

To build with nmake on Windows NT or Windows 95:

	1. Make sure cl.exe is in your %Path%. Example:

		set Path=%Path%;c:/msdev/bin

	2. Make sure %include% is set to msvc include directory. Example:

		set include=c:/msdev/include

	3. Make sure %lib% is set to msvc lib directory. Example:

		set lib=c:/msdev/lib

	4. nmake /f NMakefile

There is a bat file (build_w32.bat) for folks who have fear of nmake.

Outputs:

	WinDebug/make.exe
	WinRel/make.exe

To build with GNU make on Windows NT or Windows 95 with GCC:

	1. Make sure you egcs-1.1.2 or newer GCC for Mingw installed.
	   The current release at the time of this writing is gcc-2.95
	   (http://gcc.gnu.org/ for more info). The only gotcha is
	   that some of the code in w32/subproc assumes the use of
	   MSVCRT runtime, not the default CRTDLL runtime. That means
	   that you'll need to update your runtime. See:
	     http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
	   for instructions on how to change your runtime to MSVCRT.

	2. You must have a copy of a recent GNU make port for windows32
	   (Cygwin/Mingw/UWIN/etc).

	3. make -f Makefile.mingw32

Outputs:
	make.exe

-- Notes/Caveats --

GNU make and sh.exe:

	This port prefers you have a working sh.exe somewhere on your
	system. If you don't have sh.exe, port falls back to
	MSDOS mode for launching programs (via a batch file).
	The MSDOS mode style execution has not been tested too
	carefully though (I use GNU bash as sh.exe).

	There are very few true ports of Bourne shell for NT right now.
	There is a version of GNU bash available from Cygnus gnu-win32
	porting effort.	 Other possibilities are to get the MKS version
	of sh.exe or to build your own with a package like
	NutCracker (DataFocus) or Portage (Consensys).

	Tivoli uses a homegrown port of GNU bash which is not (yet)
	freely available. It may be available someday, but I am not in control
	of this decision nor do I influence it. Sorry!

GNU make and Cygnus GNU WIN32 tools (BATCH_MODE_ONLY_SHELL)

	GNU make now has support for the Cygnus GNU WIN32 toolset. The
	GNU WIN32 version of Bourne shell does not behave well when
	invoked as 'sh -c' from CreateProcess().  The main problem is it
	seems to have a hard time handling quoted strings correctly. This
	problem goes away when invoking the Cygnus shell on a shell script.

	To work around this difficulty, this version of make supports
	a new batch mode.  When BATCH_MODE_ONLY_SHELL is defined at compile
	time, make forces all command lines to be executed via script
	files instead of by command line.

	A native WIN32 system with no Bourne shell will also run
	in batch mode.  All command lines will be put into batch files
	and executed via $(COMSPEC) (%COMSPEC%).

	If you wish to use Cygnus' GNUWIN32 shell, be sure you define
	BATCH_MODE_ONLY_SHELL in the config.h.W32 prior to building make.
	The new feataure was tested with the b18 version of the Cygnus
	user tools.

GNU make and MKS shell

	There is now semi-official support for the MKS shell. To turn this
	support on, define HAVE_MKS_SHELL in the config.h.W32 before you
	build make.  Do not define BATCH_MODE_ONLY_SHELL if you turn
	on HAVE_MKS_SHELL.

GNU make handling of drive letters in pathnames (PATH, vpath, VPATH):

	There is a caveat that should be noted with respect to handling
	single character pathnames on Windows systems.	When colon is
	used in PATH variables, make tries to be smart about knowing when
	you are using colon as a separator versus colon as a drive
	letter.	 Unfortunately, something as simple as the string 'x:/'
	could be interpreted 2 ways: (x and /) or (x:/).

	Make chooses to interpret a letter plus colon (e.g. x:/) as a
	drive letter pathname.	If it is necessary to use single
	character directories in paths (VPATH, vpath, Path, PATH), the
	user must do one of two things:

	 a. Use semicolon as the separator to disambiguate colon. For
	    example use 'x;/' if you want to say 'x' and '/' are
	    separate components.

	 b. Qualify the directory name so that there is more than
	    one character in the path(s) used. For example, none
	    of these settings are ambiguous:

	      ./x:./y
	      /some/path/x:/some/path/y
	      x:/some/path/x:x:/some/path/y

	These caveats affect Windows systems only (Windows NT and
	Windows 95) and can be ignored for other platforms.

	Please note that you are free to mix colon and semi-colon in the
	specification of paths.	 Make is able to figure out the intended
	result and convert the paths internally to the format needed
	when interacting with the operating system.

	You are encouraged to use colon as the separator character.
	This should ease the pain of deciding how to handle various path
	problems which exist between platforms.	 If colon is used on
	both Unix and Windows systems, then no ifdef'ing will be
	necessary in the makefile source.

GNU make test suite:

	I verified all functionality with a slightly modified version
	of make-test-0.4.5 (modifications to get test suite to run
	on Windows NT). All tests pass in an environment that includes
	sh.exe. Tested on both Windows NT and Windows 95.

Building GNU make on Windows NT and Windows 95 with Microsoft Visual C

	I did not provide a Visual C project file with this port as
	the project file would not be considered freely distributable
	(or so I think). It is easy enough to create one though if
	you know how to use Visual C.

	I build the program statically to avoid problems locating DLL's
	on machines that may not have MSVC runtime installed. If you
	prefer, you can change make to build with shared libraries by
	changing /MT to /MD in the NMakefile (or build_w32.bat).

	Program has not been built under non-Intel architectures (yet).

	I have not tried to build with any other compilers than MSVC.

Pathnames and white space:

	Unlike Unix, Windows 95/NT systems encourage pathnames which
	contain white space (e.g. C:\Program Files\). These sorts of pathnames
	are legal under Unix too, but are never encouraged. There is
	at least one place in make (VPATH/vpath handling) where paths
	containing white space will simply not work. There may be others
	too. I chose to not try and port make in such a way so that
	these sorts of paths could be handled. I offer these suggestions
	as workarounds:

		1. Use 8.3 notation
		2. Rename the directory so it does not contain white space.

	If you are unhappy with this choice, this is free software
	and you are free to take a crack at making this work. The code
	in w32/pathstuff.c and vpath.c would be the places to start.

Pathnames and Case insensitivity:

	Unlike Unix, Windows 95/NT systems are case insensitive but case
	preserving.  For example if you tell the file system to create a
	file named "Target", it will preserve the case.  Subsequent access to
	the file with other case permutations will succeed (i.e. opening a
	file named "target" or "TARGET" will open the file "Target").

	By default, GNU make retains its case sensitivity when comparing
	target names and existing files or directories.  It can be
	configured, however, into a case preserving and case insensitive
	mode by adding a define for HAVE_CASE_INSENSITIVE_FS to
	config.h.W32.

	For example, the following makefile will create a file named
	Target in the directory subdir which will subsequently be used
	to satisfy the dependency of SUBDIR/DepTarget on SubDir/TARGET.
	Without HAVE_CASE_INSENSITIVE_FS configured, the dependency link
	will not be made:

	subdir/Target:
		touch $@

	SUBDIR/DepTarget: SubDir/TARGET
		cp $^ $@

	Reliance on this behavior also eliminates the ability of GNU make
	to use case in comparison of matching rules.  For example, it is
	not possible to set up a C++ rule using %.C that is different
	than a C rule using %.c.  GNU make will consider these to be the
	same rule and will issue a warning.

SAMBA/NTFS/VFAT:

	I have not had any success building the debug version of this
	package using SAMBA as my file server. The reason seems to be
	related to the way VC++ 4.0 changes the case name of the pdb
	filename it is passed on the command line. It seems to change
	the name always to to lower case. I contend that
	the VC++ compiler should not change the casename of files that
	are passed as arguments on the command line. I don't think this
	was a problem in MSVC 2.x, but I know it is a problem in MSVC 4.x.

	The package builds fine on VFAT and NTFS filesystems.

	Most all of the development I have done to date has been using
	NTFS and long file names. I have not done any considerable work
	under VFAT. VFAT users may wish to be aware that this port
	of make does respect case sensitivity.

	Version 3.76 contains some preliminary support for FAT.	 Make
	now tries to work around some difficulties with stat'ing of
	files and caching of filenames and directories internally.
	There is still a known problem with filenames sometimes being
	found to have modification dates in the future which cause make
	to complain about the file and exit (remake.c).

Bug reports:

	Please submit bugs via the normal bug reporting mechanism
	which is described in one of the Texinfo files. If you don't
	have Texinfo for Windows NT or Windows 95, these files are simple
	text files and can be read with a text editor.