NTFS file time

I encountered a strange problem today while using "cp -pu" to backup
my local NTFS files to a remote samba drive.  The cygnus tools (ls and
cp anyway) are not consistently reading and preserving the file's
modification time.  In some cases there is a discrepancy of a two
seconds compared with what Win Explorer reports.  This doesn't sound
like a big deal but it makes a difference when I only want to update
changed files and they are ALL apparently a second newer than their
backup copy, forcing all files to be re-copied.

If I copy the files using Win Explorer and then check properties, the
times are identical according to Explorer.  The cygnus ls -l --full-time
command disagrees.  Here's an example of what happens with cygnus
20.1:

~ $ls -l --full-time a.ps
-rw-r--r--   1 costerwi None        30613 Tue Mar 02 13:32:59 1999 a.ps
~ $cp -p a.ps //z
~ $ls -l --full-time //z/a.ps
-rw-r--r--   1 costerwi None        30613 Tue Mar 02 13:32:58 1999 //z/a.ps
~ $

Notice the remote file is one second older than it's original, forcing a
future "cp -pu" to copy the file again (and again miss the time)!

Is there any way I can resolve these differences?  Any help would be
appreciated.

-Carl