This is the mail archive of the firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing list for the Cygwin project. See the Cygwin
home page for more information.
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Re: Reading physical disks.
- To: Serguei DACHIAN <Serguei.Dachian@univ-lemans.fr>
- Subject: Re: Reading physical disks.
- From: Corinna Vinschen <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 01:56:38 +0100
- CC: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- Delivered-To: mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing-List: contact email@example.com; run by ezmlm
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
Serguei DACHIAN wrote:
> I need to read a physiacl sector from a physical disk (say /dev/hda).
> Under UNIX/POSIX the way to do it whould be just to "fopen" the "/dev/hda"
> and to "fread" from it. Under CygWin (B20.1 on Win98) this doesn't work.
> Indeed /dev/hd* don't exist (not even visible by ls). As to dev/fd*, even if
> visible by ls, they are inacessible neither by "fopen", nor from bash prompt
> by "dd", "cp", etc.
> So, is there at least a way to read a physiacl sector from a physical disk
> under CygWin gcc, or not???!!! HELP, I am lost.
You will find a patched version of b20.1, supporting raw access to partitions,
hard drives and tapes on
The newer snapshots of winsup (since winsup-990130, I think) contain this patch,
too. Nevertheless, you should download the forementioned README for a short
description of the features.
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org