This is the mail archive of the email@example.com
mailing list for the Cygwin project. See the Cygwin
home page for more information.
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Re: Cygwin license
- To: DJ Delorie <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Cygwin license
- From: Gernot Heiser <email@example.com.EDU.AU>
- Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:41:35 +1100
- cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- Delivered-To: mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: Your message of "Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:03:56 CDT." <199903151403.JAA05958@envy.delorie.com>
- Mailing-List: contact email@example.com; run by ezmlm
- Reply-to: G.Heiser@unsw.edu.au
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
>>>>> "DD" == DJ Delorie <email@example.com> writes:
>> However, we can, of course, not relax Stanford's restrictions on
>> commercial use without their agreement (which seems unlikely). Hence we
>> fear that we might be technically in breach of your license if we link
>> SimOS against your library, even though we feel that we would be
>> adhering to the spirit of it.
DD> You could get a commercial license for cygwin, which would allow you
DD> to choose a more restrictive license for SimOS, but then not allow the
DD> resulting program to be used commercially.
Yes, but $8k for a license just to produce code we give away freely to
students, and while following the spirit (if not the letter) of the
license seems a bit overdone.
DD> Have you considered djgpp, which has exceptions in its runtime license
DD> to allow for proprietary programs under some circumstances?
Looked at it, but most likely it won't support a smooth port.
Gernot Heiser ,--_|\ School of Computer Sci. & Engin.
Phone: +61 2 9385 5156 / \ The University of NSW
Fax: +61 2 9385 5995 \_,--._* Sydney, Australia 2052
E-mail: G.Heiser@unsw.edu.au v http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~gernot
PGP fingerprint: 94 1E B8 28 25 FD 7C 94 20 10 92 E5 0B FF 39 8F
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org