This is the mail archive of the firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing list for the Cygwin project. See the Cygwin
home page for more information.
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
- To: Fergus Henderson <email@example.com.OZ.AU>
- Subject: Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
- From: Chris Faylor <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:09:07 -0500
- Cc: email@example.com
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: mailing list email@example.com
- In-Reply-To: <firstname.lastname@example.org.OZ.AU>; from Fergus Henderson on Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 06:01:14AM +1100
- Mailing-List: contact email@example.com; run by ezmlm
- References: <001901be6909$0c8aaeb0$cd3b4ec6@hunda> <19990308104616.E789@cygnus.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org.OZ.AU>
- Sender: email@example.com
On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 06:01:14AM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>On 08-Mar-1999, Chris Faylor <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>> >The crt0.o and cygwin1.dll comes with another commercial compiler too.
>> >I do not think the GPL is valid there, to get that you need to pay first???
>> If someone is distributing code which incorporates our crt0 file then it
>> *must* be GPLed.
>I don't think that is correct. I believe the "commercial compiler"
>that Suhaib M. Siddiqi is referring to may be the one known as the
>"Cygnus GNUPro Development Tools" ;-)
>If I understand things correctly, it *is* possible to get a license for
>Cygwin that allows you to link proprietry code which incorporates the
>Cygwin crt0 file --- you just need to fork over the appropriate amount of
>cash to Cygnus to pay for that license.
That's right. As the license holder for cygwin we reserve the right to
distribute the code under a different licensing agreement.
We do allow our customers to distribute code linked with the DLL under
other terms than the GPL -- for a fee.
I don't believe that Suhaib is referring to our own products however, and
I don't believe that he is referring to a commercial customer of Cygnus.
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to email@example.com