Re: Access to Win32 Processes from shell

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> ---David's Lightspeed Email <dpainter@lightspeed.net> wrote:
> 8<
> > I'm launching processes from Perl scripts using backticks and the
> system
> > command, and it seems that Windows is stealing my processes from me
> > sometimes.  Although the application is running, and the window is
> visible,
> > I look for the process with "ps -ef", and it is nowhere to be found.
>  Where
> > did it go?
> >
> > What I'm doing is automating IExplorer launches to retrieve http
> documents.
> > Once I have the documents, though, I need to kill the window,
> otherwise my
> > screen starts filling up with hundreds of icons.
> >
> > Any clues?
> 8<
>
> The processes for non-cygwin binaries cannot be mapped to a cygwin
> process.  Therefore you will not see the process with the ps command.
> You might use the CreateProcess function instead and use the handle
> returned by it to control the window/process created.

That's not quite right. David, are you using a non-cygwin perl,
like ActiveState? If that is the case that is likely your problem.
The system command probably uses command.com/cmd.exe to execute commands
and at least command.com does not wait for win32 gui processes to
complete.

If you are using a cygwin perl, my guess is that IE starts another
process
that is *not* mapped by cygwin. Try using lynx or wget.

Anders