sh can't run any programs from script when PATH exceeds 2500 characters

I have a sh script that basically sets up a bunch of environment variables, constructs a PATH based on some input files and then runs a program.  If the path is over 2500 characters, the program (no matter what program it is) gives the following error:

foo: error 11

Even Win32 native apps such as cmd fail this way.  Unfortunately, I can't easily reproduce the problem.  I've tried writing a simple bare script to test it, but it won't fail.  It only fails in my rather involved script that makes use of several input files from various locations.

Is there a hard limit on the PATH size?  Is there perhaps a fixed buffer size used for the PATH conversion in the cygwin DLL?   Any help or suggestions are appreciated....

begin:vcard
n:Felaco;Chris
tel;work:(781)359-7367
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.psw.com/
org:PSW Technologies
adr:;;One Innovation Drive;Natick;MA;01760;
version:2.1
email;internet:cfelaco@openmarket.com
title:Software Engineer
fn:Chris Felaco