2 questions: ICMP and system

System: Windows 95 OSR2 + Cygwin B19 with patch and EGCS 1.1 (standard
installation).

1)  socket(AF_INET,SOCK_RAW,IPPROTO_ICMP) does not work for me (I get
    a protocol not supported errno)

    The code works on another platform (it basicly uses the same
    algorithm as the original Mike Muss Ping code - it is just
    C++ instead of C and sligthly simpler in functionality).

    Is it a problem with with Cygwin ?  Is it a problem with
    Windows95 WINSOCK ? (if that - how does the Windows Ping programs
    work ?) Or do I have to look for a bug in my code ? (no warnings
    and that it does work on another platform is no guarantee that
    the code is correct)

2)  Are there a simple way of getting system to use DOS instead
    of bash ?

    (even though I like Unix emulation, then I may still want to execute
    a native DOS command)

Arne

-