Re: Windows98 + inetutils

> Also, a few questions regarding inetd under Windows98; I've succesfully
> compiled all of the required binaries (aka, inetd.exe, telnetd.exe, etc),
> and can run inetd fine, but where exactly is it looking for a
> configuration file?  If i simply create an /etc/inetd.conf will it look
> here, or is it reading it from somewhere else?  I'm only wondering,
> because running it stock, it loads all services, I'm wondering where
> it's reading these services from.

Sergei's remote package puts the config file to /usr/local/etc/inetd.conf.

> Also, as far as remote logins are concerned (obviously it will be for mere
> personal use) how is this controlled?  Can I simply just setup an
> /etc/passwd, and /etc/group file, and when inetd is setup it will accept
> logins using the passwd file?

Yep. The login program called by in.telnetd look up valid users in the
/etc/passwd file.

> Any information on any of this will be greatly appreciated -- I haven't
> found any web resources for configuring inetd under Windows '98.

hmm, I'm using Win98 with Sergei's remote package and have not experienced any
problems in running inetd. You just have to patch the login.c file to do a bit
of security controling, like looking up the users from /etc/passwd.

Regards, Stipe.

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
Cygwin32 Porting Project