Re: Support for malign-double?

Hello:
Thank you very much for your comments.

; In a message dated 8/20/98 4:13:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
; nakata@csl.cl.nec.co.jp writes:
;
; > linux performance is
; >  about 20% better for floating point intensive application.
; >
; You'd have to study harder than I'm willing to do to figure out which
; alignments are controlled by -malign-double, which are at the discretion of
; the OS or the math library, and which are controlled by the compiler in which
; version.  It appears that linux-gnulibc1 aligns many local variables,
; including register spills, which cygwin32 does not.  One of the effects I have
; observed is that -Os may be faster than -O2 on a P-Pro running certain code on
; cygwin32, where the two are about equal on a P2 on cygwin32, and -O2 may be
; faster on linux.  My conclusion is that -O2 spills more registers, which are
; stored with unpredictable alignment in cygwin32.

I see.

;
;  You must be running a P-Pro; data mis-alignment on the P-Pro can slow it down
; by a factor of 2 or 3 when there are L1 data cache misses, while I've
never

It is a PentiumII..

; been able to slow the P2 down by more than 50% for data cache misses.  But,
; since you mention 20%, that's a typical penalty on the P2 for failing to use
; the p2align feature of current egcs.  That, however, is the same on linux or
; cygwin32, if you install the same compiler and gas on each.

Both are from (egcs-1.0.2 release)...
Best Regards
Toshiyuki Nakata

-