Re: X server? telnet? rlogin?

Peter,

> However, people may want to take a look at http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/
> This is a gadget that can transfer entire desktops, X or Windoze
> or..., across a network. In the context of X, it runs with a generic
> bitmap "vncserver" and a viewer that can connect from anyware. And:
> it's GPL'ed! I wouldn't expect too much difficulty in porting the
> vncserver to gnuwin32, considering the stunts people on this list are
> regularly performing with other programs. Then you could just run the
> Win32 viewer connected to localhost.

The VNC has been ported to GNU Win32 by Valery Tulnikov, check:

        http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul

However, Valery tells me that it is slow compared to an X server.
And it adds another step into the process. You have to start the VNC server,
then the VNC viewer, then start your client. It is an interesting
concept, though.

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva@alum.mit.edu