Re: gunzip

Kevin Tighe wrote:

> I tried to gunzip emacs and I got a non-stop flow of garbage in the
> window.  Does anyone know what caused this?
>
> this is the command I entered in bash: "gunzip -c -d emacs_tar.gz"

 The option -c means: write to standard output (= normally the terminal).
Invoke gunzip just this way:
  gunzip emacs_tar.gz
Even the -d option should not be needed (it means decompress, but that's the
default).
Doing so you'll find the unziped files in your actually working directory.

Juerg

P.S.: in future take a look in the man-pages. You'll find all the answers
for such questions there!