Re: performance of cygwin32

Is it possible that we are comparing w95 to wNT??  I would expect there
to be a "glacial" difference between these two OS.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

>From: epeschko@den-mdev1.tci.com (Ed Peschko)
>Subject: Re: performance of cygwin32
>To: noer@cygnus.com (Geoffrey Noer)
>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 00:59:17 -0700 (MST)
>Cc: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>

>> Ed Peschko wrote:
>> >
>> > Win32 is slow, but network drives are *glacial*, at least with
cygwin32
>> > tools. I've installed the coolview update (when will it be
incorporated
>> > into the 'vanilla' cygwin32 tools anyways?) and it is going a bit
faster.

>> The "coolview" sources represent a state of the actual Cygnus
development
>> tree as of whenever that was made.  It's made more progress since
then;
>> right now I'm battling race conditions in the signal code...
>>
>> Right now I can do a complete configure of the compiler tools
(including
>> tcl/tk) in about 20 minutes and build them in an hour 15 min. which
is a
>> huge improvement performance-wise.  But signal handling isn't quite
as
>> robust as it needs to be...
>
>Well, something must be seriously wrong with my configuration, because
I was
>seeing performance times of about 6-7 hours to do the same.
>
>1 hour 15 mins is what I call slightly slow. 6-7 hours is what I call
glacial.
>I'd hit 'ls' and it would take about a minute to respond....
>
>I could live with an hour to build all the tools, believe me. Its just
the
>going to dinner, then taking a nap, then playing two games of pool, and
finally
>coming back to the keyboard to see that the tools are *still* compiling
>which is getting annoying.
>
>Ed
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                         (Chuck Bogorad)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub                       (Den Internet Services)