Re: bash problem. (Am I missing something?)

Thank you for the information ;^)
However executing the script via
source ./test.sh        or
source test.sh          or
. test.sh
(^ note space)
has the intended result, the var gets set in the current shell
the reason I said to use source instead of . is that . is
ambiguous in a mail message. see.  .-)

executing via a $PATH search like this

test.sh

or by

./test.sh

like he did the variable remains unset. which would
indicate to me that the script is executed in a subshell, as I stated.

On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:54:44 PST, you wrote:

>>try
>>
>>source ./test.sh
>>
>>#!/bin/sh causes the script to run in a subshell, so any exports
>>are lost when the toplevel shell resumes. at least I think that's
>right;^)
>
>wrong.  source is equates to Bourne's . command which will read the
>given FILENAME and execute the commands in the current shell context.
>This means that any environment variable set will remain at the end of
>the script.  Any cd performed will remain in effect as well.
>
>>no idea where the error comes from unless #! aren't the very first 2
>chars in the file.
>>

>I believe the problem to be \r in the script file.  And possibly
>text!=binary.
>
>[snip]
>
>-        \\||//
>---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
>-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
>------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

(jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com)
delete REMOVETHIS from the above to reply
         Mikey

Windows vs Linux is a no-win situation.

Windows 95: --  32-bit extensions and a GUI
shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit OS
originally coded for a 4-bit processor
written by a 2-bit company that
can't produce 1 bit of quality.