Who is root? (was Re: raw floppy access)

>i just try to mount /dev/fd0 as binary,
>and now when i try to tar tvf /dev/fd0, i get :

>tar: Cannot open /dev/fd0: Not super-user

>but i am logged as admin !

>I have also try to do mkpasswd and mkgroup and modify the passwd file
>to put the UID 0 , so that the 'id' command say that i am root

>but i have still the Not super-user error message !

>Any idea for this ?

=====================
=== root != admin ===
=====================

If you are running NT, you might need to create
an NT user with uid 0 (not just /etc/passwd).

Anyone know if this possible? I doubt it.

Alternatively, get[e]uid() could be made to
return 0 when the user is in the Administrators group.
Sounds very kludgy.
Would this be a good idea?

Isn't the concept of a 'root' user too important
to ignore when porting unix software?

raf

-