Re: ls -p very slow

That's pretty inefficient...sounds like a problem with how link
information is stored in general. I know it's not easy to do this kind of
thing with Microsoft's file systems, but maybe there is a way to speed
this and related procedures up.

A couple of ideas...one of which has already been implemented by someone
(see about 5 messages back in this list), I think?

1) Keep it simple, stupid - only scan files with the System attribute set,
make sure that all links get this attribute set when created.

2) Store a binary table of links somewhere on disk, scan thru that for
links corresponding to what directory you're in. Or just make a hidden
file in each subdirectory which contains link info for all the files in
that subdirectory...that way you don't have to (*gasp*) open and close all
the files every time you want to process which are links (e.g., ls -p or
similar). Maybe this is too complicated...

-chad