Re: filename expansion

Daniel P.C. da Silva wrote:

> I don't know how to pass a pattern (like find . -name "*.pl") without
> doing filename expansion. Under UNIX, I would use \* , "*" or '*' to
> protect the pattern from the shell. None of this methods work with
> gnu-win32 commands running from a command prompt (not bash).
> Is there another way of doing this?

There is a bug (IMHO) in the argument passing of non-cygwin shells.
Cygwin assumes that the shell has no globbing ability and globs
the cmdline.  Furthermore, it ignores ' and ", so you can't escape
it.  I think I may have found a kludge around it though.

Try:
  xargs find . -name
  *.pl -print
  ^Z
or
  xargs find . -name
  *.pl
  -print
  ^Z

--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles