Windowless Bashing

I would like to have a java program exec off a bash script.  When I do
this the bash script likes to open it's own console window.  This was
annoying so I built a version of bash using the gcc
-Wl,--subsystem,windows switch.  Sure enough the top-level (bash)
window has now disappeared but each and every sub-process brings up
its own window.

Can anyone tell me the "proper" things to do?  Do I need to build the
entire tool-set without the console window linked in?  Is there a
trick I can do to force the console window to select /dev/null at run
time?

PS - Sorry if I sent this once already today.
-