Re: Absolute file-path under bash (cygwin32)

At 18:55 14/04/97 +0200, you wrote:
}Hi,
}[...]
}- All drives on my PC are 'mounted' under corresponding mount-points (D:
}under /d, E: under /e and so on).
}- If I use file expansion after entering such a command like 'vim'
}beginning with a mount point for a drive (like /d), the file expansion
}worked well, so that I get a whole absolute file-path like
}"/d/directory/filename", which points to an exist file. The editor says
}however, it is editing a new file. The window title was changed to
}"VIM - e:\d\directory\filename". Drive "e:" was added curiously before
}the absolute file-path.
}- There is no problem for a cygwin32-command like 'cat' in the same
}situation.
}[...]

You are experiencing this problem because normal (not cygwin32) programs do
not understand cygwin32 mount tables.  When you type "cat
/d/directory/filename", then "cat.exe" (which is a cygwin32 program) looks
in the special cygnus mount table to see that "/d" is mapped to d:\, and it
opens the file "d:\directory\filename".  On the other hand, when you type
"vim /d/directory/filename", vim.exe (which isn't part of cygwin32) doesn't
know about the cygwin32 mount table, so it tries to open the file
"/d/directory/filename" on the current drive (is this case it happens to be
e:.  Thus, it tries to open "e:\d\directory\filename".

There isn't any easy solution to this problem.  You can either type the
DOS-style path that vim requires, or "cd" to the directory in bash, and then
edit the file with no path at all.

        --- Wade