Re: xinit hangs on XWin infinite loop when using -displayfd

On 29/07/2014 00:57, Matt D. wrote:
Doh! I was so blind! Windows XP does not have an IPv6 protocol installed
by default. I added it and the problem went away.

This sounds like a bug. XWin should verify whether a device which
supports the target protocol exists before attempting to open a socket
on it.

Yes, it shouldn't fail like this if IPv6 isn't installed

I suspect the same problem will occur if you use X -displayfd built with IPv6 on linux kernel without IPv6 support

What is this used for? Sharing a local X session with someone else?
Logging onto an existing X session at work from home? I've only ever
used X locally or through ssh forwarding.

It's used to allow remote X clients to connect to an X server without using a ssh tunnel (e.g. [1])

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-telnet

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer