Re: XWin ignores all parameters related to multiple monitors

On 06/05/2014 22:54, Lukas Haase wrote:
On 2014-05-05 13:03, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 04/05/2014 06:56, Lukas Haase wrote:
I use Cygwin/X to display a CAD application on my Windows cient. For
some reason new windows always open on the secondary display and I
always need to manually drag them to my primary display. That's sooo
annoying (since UNIX applications tend to open new windows on every
action).

I think that it's a bug that these windows are appearing at the
top-left, rather than on the primary display, in that we don't
distinguish well enough between "the application asked us to place the
window at 0x0" and "the application didn't specify where to put the window"

It would help if you could give the name of this application, and can
you install 'xprop', and show the output you get from running that, then
clicking on one of the window which gets placed incorrectly.

Sure.

It's Cadence Virtuoso/ADE.

The xprop output is:
[...]
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified location: 0, 0
		program specified minimum size: 100 by 100
		program specified maximum size: 3820 by 2500

Hmmm...

There are 2 possible flags here: "program specified location" and "user specified location" (e.g. by using -geometry on the command line), and at the moment we honour them both.

Now, it might be that the client expects to see some EWMH capabilities advertised by the multiwindow mode WM, the absence of which causes it to set this, or it only sets this after the window is placed, but if it always creates the window with that property, it's not clear how to fix this.

(Just ignoring "program specified location" is tempting, but there are legitimate uses, for example a toolbar window which should be placed at the side)

So, do you have an example of this working as you would like on a unix system, and what is the window manager is that case?

I've built a snapshot [1], which adds a heuristic which ignores a 'program specified location' hint if the location is the origin, which you might like to try and see if that fixes your problem, but I'm not sure if that is the correct solution.

(I also found a bug with how this hint is handled in 64-bit builds, but I don't think that affects you)

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86/XWin.20140508-git-c4a16a6606868d3e.exe.bz2

This is not how it behaves for me.  Using -nomultiplemontiors, or an
explicit -screen setting shows an appropriately sized root window when
turning off "Hide Root Window". (Although this is not terribly useful as
you can move the Windows windows out of this area, which causes their
contents to not be drawn)

You are right. Further research shows me that my arguments never showed
up in XWin.0.log. Maybe I there's a different bug here?

I call XWin like this:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe --
-nomultimonitors

And this appears in XWin.0.log:

XWin was started with the following command line:

X :0 -multiwindow

You need to quote the whole command after bash's -c flag, otherwise they are interpreted as additional flags to bash.

See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-command-line-args for an example.

However, unfortunately this does not change anything: You are right that
when I uncheck "Hide Root window", the black root window *only* covers
the primary monitor. That's good.

But windows are *still* opened at the second monitor!

What's even worse (and pretty astonishing to me): All X windows are
*only* displayed correctly on the *secondary* display with the command
line above. On the primary display, the window frames are shown but the
windows are not drawn (they are transparent) and they do not accept
mouse/keyboard input.

So it's completely the opposite as it is intended ...

Yes, it seems there is also something wrong with the translation between Windows (which has 0,0 at the top-left of the primary monitor) and X (which has 0,0 at the top-left of the virtual screen) coordinate spaces here.

But even if that was fixed, there is still the problem of how X windows are supposed to behave when moved off the virtual screen (not allowed to move? empty?)

Because of that, assuming that I can fix your problem with correct window placement, I am inclined to just disable the combination of -multiwindow and -screen.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer