Re: Problem with Multi-Key Sequences... They Seem To Be Filtered Out By XWin

On 06/03/2014 22:25, Cutler, David (NonStop) wrote:
> I downloaded a new copy of Cygwin in the last 5 days (effectively started
> from scratch) and am trying to use XWin on a Windows 7 virtual machine
> running an old proprietary X program (it's called x6530 which is a terminal
> emulator for a proprietary terminal built originally by Tandem Computers
> and now owned by Hewlett Packard.)
>
> I start up the server and window manager using the following command:
> /usr/bin/setsid \ /usr/bin/XWin \ -mwextwm \ -multimonitors \ -internalwm
> \ -nowinkill \ &

While probably not the cause of your problems, -mwextwm is an experimental
option and -internalwm is undocumented.

I think you should get the same effect with just '-multiwindow -nowinkill'

> I'm trying to use multi-key sequences like Control_L-Alt_L-F6,
> Shift_L-Control_L-F6, etc.  I do see that xev recognizes these sequences
> but the Control_L and Alt_L keys seem to be filtered out when I run x6530.
> All it seems to get is F6 or Shift_L-F6.
>
> I've tried different window managers, run /usr/bin/XWin directly, used the
> right-hand modification keys like Control_R,  etc. and no matter what I
> try, I see the same filtering behavior in x6530.    I have recently used
> exceed (formally owned by Hummingbird) with x6530 and the Control_L and
> Alt_L keys are passed to x6530 as expected so my suspicion is that XWin is
> responsible for the unwanted behavior of filtering out the keys like
> Control_L and Alt_L keys.
>
> Is this the case?  Is there a way to get these sequences "unfiltered".

The evidence doesn't really support your conclusion:  If one X client (xev)
gets these key events, why would the X server not send them to a different X
client (x6530)?  However, it's perfectly possibly that they aren't sent in the
expected form, or some other problem.

I guess that x6530 is running on a remote host, so the details of that remote
host might be pertinent.  FAQ 5.1.8 [1] and the linked email thread may be
relevant.

If you still have access to the working setup, you might want to compare the
xev output for these keys to see if there any differences.  You might also
consider using wireshark, xmon or xscope to examine the protocol interactions
between client and server to see if there is any difference there.

> If there is additional information I can provide, please let me know.

It would be nice to see /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log just to see what keyboard
configuration is being used by the X server etc.

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#alt-gr-with-old-x

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer