Need recommendation for sound setup

I have a video-and-audio X11 application, currently working fine on
Linux with local client and server, using the OSS API for audio.

Thanks to the cygwin pseudo-device for OSS, it also works fine on Cygwin
with local client and server.

With Linux client and a remote server, Linux or Cygwin, the video part
works fine, but without sound of course.

I know there exist tons of possibilities: PulseAudio, NAS, ESD, artsd,
jack, and certainly more that I do not know about. The problem is the
sheer abundance. Can anyone recommend the solution involving the least
amount of work? I would prefer a single API, autoconfiguration based on
the X display URL (so to speak), and please nothing using LD_PRELOAD.

TiA
Michel Bardiaux

PS: this question is obviously not about the X server per se. Still,
users of cygwin-xfree are more likely to know than users of cygwin in
general, which is why I post first here rather than in the general list.
I may be wrong, if so, apologies.