Re: X server crash when running texworks

On 3/29/2012 8:14 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 28/03/2012 13:44, Ken Brown wrote:
On 3/28/2012 8:28 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 3/28/2012 7:16 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
I'm afraid I can't reproduce your issue, but looking at the backtrace
and the
somewhat intermittent nature of the fault, I think perhaps this crash is
caused by a race condition which exists in the conversion of the
window icon
from an X property to a Windows icon.

I've uploaded a snapshot with some fixes for that at [1], perhaps you
could
try that out and see if it helps?

[1]
ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20120328-git-ab32650607c59327.exe.bz2

Yes, that seems to fix it. I just started texworks and compiled 6 or 7 tex documents without a crash. I've never been able to do more than 1 or 2 before.

Good.

I spoke too soon.  I closed texworks and was doing other things (not even
involving X to my knowledge), and the X server just crashed.  I'm attaching
XWin.0.log.

Not so good :-(. Thanks for testing it, anyway.

I found a rather bad crash bug I'd introduced and fixed that, so you might
want to try today's snapshot [1], but I'm not confident that I fixed the
problem you saw, so a backtrace would be helpful if you still get crashes.

OK, I'm running it now and have attached gdb to it. The good news is that I've been running it for a couple hours with no crash, and I've used texworks and have opened many tex files and pdf files in it without a problem. The bad news is that texworks becomes unresponsive and has to be killed whenever I try to compile a tex file. I have no idea whether this is due to an X server problem or something completely different. Anyway, I'll post a backtrace if the server crashes.

In case you want to try to reproduce the current problem, start texworks, open a tex file (such as the file test1.tex whose contents I listed at the beginning of this thread), and click on the icon at the left end of the toolbar (brown triangle on a green background). This is supposed to cause test1.tex to get compiled, but for me it just causes texworks to become unresponsive. This was working properly with the previous version of the X server (until the server crashed).

After I kill texworks, `ps' shows a dbus-daemon process and a dbus-launch process that weren't there before I started texworks, but maybe that's to be expected.

Ken